Friday, December 9, 2011

Necessity

A friend shared this on Facebook recently.  Another friend commented 'do we even have a clue?'  At first I agreed, but then I had to think about it some more.

As Americans I think a lot of us have a clue, we see pictures, we view it on t.v. and some of us have even been to countries where we have seen the suffering of others first hand.  BUT we are so used to comfort.  We struggle with letting go of it. 

I live in a third world country, surrounded by poverty, crime, and corruption (see our recent newsletter for more information on this... http://media.wix.com/ugd/2dace3_7b67cb80cec26631fb173eb83a7d9537.pdf?dn=November+2011+Newsletter.pdf.)  Yet I struggle with this.  Yes, we are here to help those in need, but we have our comforts....those things we want and feel we need. 

Some of my recent challenges:
-Did I really need to spend the equivalent of $11 on three creamers for coffee just because I don't know when I'll be able to find them again?
-Did I need to buy lunch out yesterday when I could have waited that one hour until I got home to eat leftovers?
-Do we avoid going to visit family for more than one night because we don't like the lack of comfort in showering (cold water), in sleeping (sleeping 3 to a bed and with various insects nearby), in eating (the same type of food every meal), and in weather (it is much hotter there)?  We love family, but we struggle with our comfort.
-Did I spend too much on my children for Christmas because I want 'things' to bring them joy because I feel bad that they have given up a lot to be missionary kids?

As I started writing that list, I began to think about more than just the physical items.  Wow, I am challenged by my mindset, as well.  I want things to be pretty, not just comfortable.  I want things a certain way, a neat way, an organized way. 

This isn't the first time I've been challenged.  For me it is a constant battle.  I don't like discomfort.  I don't like disorganization.  I don't like injustice.  I don't like looking at the starving child, at the physical abnormalities of beggars in Honduran streets, at the families digging through our trash on trash days, at the houses made of cardboard set up along the river, at the children begging or working when they should be in school.

Every time I think about this, I come back to the same place.  I ease my consience by saying that we are here helping to improve the lives of people and most importantly, give them eternal hope.  We share money, food, and items when we feel 'called' to do so.  We left 'home' to come help in a place where we will never really 'fit in', and gave up things that we 'loved'.  Yet, I still feel guilty about all that I have and all my comforts.

Food 'baskets' for some workers in our neighborhood.
Our Christmas tree
Why is that?  I think Satan tries to discourage me by trying to undermine the things we are doing.  And sometimes God is calling me to do more.  I need to seek God more for His calling for me and ask Him to remove those doubts.  I need to focus on giving Him thanks in all things and being content with what I have.

1 comment: